Whitewater Township Park
Camping on Elk Lake
Close to Traverse City & Elk Rapids, Michigan
55 Sites for Tents & RVs
Elk Lake View Sites
Park Policies and Rules
- Whitewater Township Park property includes the ranger station, campground, dump station, boat launch, boat launch parking lot, waterfront, pavilion, beach area, and trails.
- It is the responsibility of all users of the park to inform themselves of all park policies and rules.
- Park rangers and park administrator have the authority to enforce all park policies and rules. Violations of policies and/or rules may result in expulsion from the park or other enforcement action.
- For activities or situations not covered by these policies and rules, please contact the park administrator at (231) 267-5141 x24 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
TIMES AND VISITORS:
- Check-in time is 3:00 p.m.
- Check-out time is 12:00 noon.
- Quiet time begins at 10:00 p.m.
- Waterfront and pavilion close at dusk.
- Visitors are welcome in the park between 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. Visitors shall not enter or remain in the campground between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.
- Camping is permitted on designated sites only.
- Maximum of six (6) people per site.
- Campers under 18 years of age must have adult supervision. Parents, you are responsible for your children.
- Maximum of two (2) adult sleeping units allowed on each site, with only one (1) wheeled unit. Exceptions: One (1) fully screened dining tent and one (1) tent for children 17 and under. “Storage” tents are prohibited. Second adult sleeping unit must be registered with the ranger station at time of check-in, by the registered camper, and will be charged an additional fee of $20 per night.
- Each sleeping unit shall maintain a minimum of 4′ clearance on all sides.
- RV trailers should be parked on campsites in a way to expedite removal in the event of an emergency.
- Campsites must show occupancy with a sleeping unit for the duration of the reservation. Reservations on sites without occupancy may be cancelled.
- Subleasing of campsites is not allowed. Registered camper(s) who will not be present in the park overnight must report the length of their absence to the ranger station in writing, along with a phone number where the registered camper can be reached in case of emergency.
- Moving of picnic tables from one site to another is prohibited without the consent of a park ranger.
- Moving of a fire ring within a campsite is prohibited without the consent of a park ranger. Moving of a fire ring to another campsite is prohibited.
FIREWOOD, FIRE PITS, AND WASTE DISPOSAL:
- Fires are not permitted in the park except in designated fire pits and grills.
- Bundles of split hardwood will be available for purchase. Only firewood purchased through the ranger station is allowed in the campground.
- NO outside firewood or burning materials of any type shall be brought into the campground or burned in the fire pits.
- Unburned wood should not be removed from the park, in accordance with DNR recommendations against transporting firewood.
- Burning or placement of garbage, bottles, cans, or any other type of waste in fire pits is strictly prohibited and may be grounds for expulsion from the park or other enforcement action.
- Waste of any type, including food, cigarette butts, and other trash or sewage shall be bagged and disposed of in proper containers provided throughout the park.
- All returnables should be placed in designated containers.
- Fish entrails shall be placed in leakproof plastic bags, tied shut, and placed in the dumpsters. Whitewater Township Park is in bear country! Do not dispose of fish entrails in the campground!
- No more than two (2) vehicles and one (1) boat trailer allowed at each site. Vehicles or trailers shall not protrude into roadways.
- Additional vehicles, boats, or trailers must be parked in the overflow parking area.
- Overflow parking area is for registered campers only.
- No boats of any kind shall enter the park without the purchase of a boat pass. This rule applies whether the boat will be launched or not.
- No vehicles, boats, or trailers shall park overnight in the boat launch parking lot.
- Off-road vehicles and golf carts are prohibited in the park (except for the park’s golf cart).
BOAT LAUNCH, PAVILION, BEACH, AND WATERFRONT:
- No smoking in the beach area.
- No glass containers in beach area.
- No watercraft allowed within the buoyed swimming area.
- Whitewater Township Park does not provide moorings for boats.
- Anyone wishing to moor a boat must supply their own mooring and moors at their own risk.
- Please restrict mooring of boats to the area north of the boat launch.
- Waterfront, pavilion, and park trails close at dusk.
- No overnight parking is allowed in the boat launch parking lot.
- All dogs and pets of any type must be registered at time of check-in.
- Dogs and pets of any type must be kept on a 6′ leash and in the company of the owner at all times. Campers who allow their dog or pet to wander unaccompanied off their site may be expelled from the park.
- Campers who leave dogs or other pets unattended in the park, including inside a camping unit or vehicle, may be expelled from the park if the dog or pet disturbs the peace and quiet of the park.
4. Dogs and pets of any type are prohibited in and around the bathhouse (except leader dogs for the blind), the beach and swimming area, or any other building within the park.
- Disrespectful, vulgar or profane language anywhere on Whitewater Township Park property will not be tolerated. Violations may result in expulsion from the park or other enforcement action.
- Disturbance of other campers’ outdoor experience, day or night, with unreasonable noise or activities is prohibited.
- Disturbance of other campers during quiet time (10:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.) with noise of any type that can be heard beyond the campsite producing the noise is strictly prohibited. Violation of this policy may result in expulsion from the park or other enforcement action.
- Destruction or damage of any type to park property may result in expulsion from the park as well as pursuit of reimbursement for damages or other enforcement action.
- Fireworks and sky lanterns are strictly prohibited.
- No devices that discharge projectiles either by air, explosive substance, or any other force are allowed on park property.
- Drones are prohibited anywhere on park property.
RV and Tent Camping
Camping in Northern Michigan
55 campsites near Traverse City and Elk Rapids, Michigan.
Access to sandy beach and boat launch on Elk Lake.